It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:33 am

Post subject: HELP
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:46 am 
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

I am wanting to up grade to a true gaming PC but I can't afford to buy one out right so I need to piece one together. I am looking for advice on what to buy and in what order in order to maximize the bang for the buck and to minimize down time or parts just sitting around waiting for the right parts to use. I am thinking of using a SSD only if they have the reliability of the old stuff.

My current PC is a Foxcon motherboard with upgraded ram upgraded CPU (which is a 4 core chip) and a 5770 gpu and this set up has lasted me almost 10 years.

I need all the help I can get with this build. With the advice please send links so I can check out the hardware.

Post subject: Re: HELP
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:08 am 
Colonel
Colonel

No idea what hardware you have right now (motherboard type/chipset) but if you still use an old style (rotating platters) harddisk, replace it with an SSD. I'm pretty sure you'd be in for a shock !

I still got an old 2010 15" MacBook Pro and although the SSD disk can't use the entire bandwith of the SATA controller (SATA2, not SATA3 speed) it still gives a speed boost, 280MB/s instead of 440MB/s. You will notice that. 8) Not as fast as the newer PCI-Express x4 disks as my 2015 13" MacBook Pro has but performance is not bad, not bad at all.

Get a Samsung 850/860 EVO, cheap, reliable, fast. It's the only brand I use for my PC's.

If you don't want to reinstall your operating system from scratch then Macrium Reflect (free edition) does a solid job in cloning your old harddisk to an SSD from within Windows. There are other tools as well, it's up to you.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:00 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Ditto. :8

On the Samsung SSD; only brand I use too.
Even if you can't afford the 500GB one, if
you go for the 256GB, and just load Windows
on it, and few select games, you can then
throw the rest of your stuff onto a conventional
HDD. You'll still see a HUGE performance
increase with the SSD.

But, again, stick to the Samsung drive for SSD.
There are cheaper ones out there, but typically
not as fast or reliable.
"Lead, follow, or get out of the way."----Thomas Paine

"I am sore wounded but not slain I will lay me down and bleed a while And then rise up to fight again"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:50 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

What 5niper says, OS and software on the SSD, large data on conventional disks. I got a 500GB 850EVO divided in 2 partitions; 300GB OS, 200GB 'my documents' directory etc. This way I have fast access to Excel, Word document, pdf's. My music and photo collection is stored on HDD's. Getting 2TB SSD's(2x) is still too expensive.

Also all my data is stored on external NAS units in RAID5 arrays, ALWAYS make sure you have backups of important data.

The Pro versions of the Samsung SSD's are a bit faster and have longer guarantee but also a bit more expensive, IMO not worth it.

If you plan a new motherboard make sure it has an M.2 PCIe x4 slot and get one of those SSD's as a boot device. Samsung 960 is the way to go if you take that route.

Next; videocard. Your 5770 is long overdue.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:15 pm 
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

I'm trying to upgrade all hardware, motherboard, chip set, ext. I need ideas on what to buy first. The only parts I'm keeping is the case power supply and DVD drive.

My plan is to get the parts as I can afford them and install them and when I get the hard drive I will have my current one copied and installed on the SSD so I don't have to buy a new OS.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:12 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

If you also get a new motherboard you might not clone a harddisk to SSD easily; Chipset will be different so you probably end up with BSOD's all over the place.

What's the type of the motherboard and processor ? Might not need replaced if it's still reasonably 'new'.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:24 pm 
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

It is over 10 years old so I have decided to build myself a gaming tower. I could use all the help I can get.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:25 am 
Colonel
Colonel

What I would do right now:

Asus motherboard with H370 chipset. Z370 also possible but more expensive.
8th gen Core i3, 3.something Ghz, quadcore, seems enough for me. If you want i5/i7, go ahead.
At least 16GB memory but if you can afford it 32GB. Memory is expensive but I expect lower prices in a few months.
Samsung M.2 960 EVO PCIe x4 500GB bootdisk. Pro is a bit faster but is it worth the extra money ? If on a budget get a 250GB.
Additional conventional harddisks for data. Whatever size suits you.
Videocard ? AMD/ATi of Nvidia, whatever you prefer. Ti1060 ? RX560 ?

Power supply; make sure your old one has the right connectors, sometimes things change overtime.