It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:00 pm

Post subject: Tablet help
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:52 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Ok who is our tablet expert?

I have an RCA tablet running Kit Kat 4.4 that I am trying to be able to put movies on a micro SD card so that I can watch them on the tablet so that I don't have to stream them which eats up my data. I have already copied a movie to my SD card and put it in the tablet and it shows there is something on it but I can't access it.

Post subject: Re: Tablet help
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:21 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Not my area of expertise. But...

My guess is you can't stream a movie from your SD as it's "external" memory.

The only way I have heard of (never tried it) is to "root" your tablet. Think of this
like "jail breaking" your phone. In most cases, it voids the warranty.

But, essentially, what you'd be doing is causing the tablet to use an external
memory device (like your SD card) as it's "internal" memory.

I'm sure there are many resources online with tutorials, but again, at your own risk.
I don't own one of those devices, so I have not done anything like what I'm talking about.

:(
"Lead, follow, or get out of the way."----Thomas Paine

"I am sore wounded but not slain I will lay me down and bleed a while And then rise up to fight again"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:56 pm 
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

First of all, what is the format of the movie?
if its flash - your are prob going to have a ton of issues as adobe stopped supporting flash on android some time ago
2nd there are 2 programs that i use on my tablet / phones all the time when trying to do stuff i know should work.
- ES Files Explorer - should be able to find the files no matter where they are stored.
- MX player - plays a wide variety of files - might need to download the codecs that will assist this as well - easy to find as they are by the same company

Give those 2 a try and report back :)
Crazy as a loon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:13 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Well this is what I am trying. I took one of my DVDs and copied it on to my SD card and then put it into my tablet and I can see that it has information on it but I can't access it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:36 pm 
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

How did you copy it?

Like Taz said, it has to be in the correct format. If you convert it to an .mp4 file it should play.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:06 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

All I did was put the DVD into my computer and I copyed from the drive to the SD card. I guess I need to know how to convert it to other formats.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:50 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Just 1:1 copy might not work because of copy restrictions forced upon us by the 'entertainment' mob. You need to make a 'backup' but that might be illegal in the USA as it 'breaks' the 'protection'.

But what if you allready got a DVD, either in file format, ISO, XviD, MKV or whatever format which is practical, then how to play it ? Try VLC player (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/#download), it works perfect on Windows, MAC and a ton of Linux distros and there is a Android version as well. (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... deolan.vlc). Oh, for those who prefer a tablet from that californian importer of chinese fruit (Foxconn, THE manufacturer of that so called american brand IS chinese): https://itunes.apple.com/app/vlc-ios/id650377962

VLC works fine on my 10" Samsung Tab 2 tablet if I want so see that latest TV show which aired last night in 1080p MKV. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:27 am 
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

I also recommend VLC as an alternative player - been using that for years also. - with VLC you MIGHT be able to go down thru your directories and find the actual files that you copied over and play it - works on computer, but not sure on android...

other then that get a dvd ripper program like WinX DVD Ripper Platinum ( my current one ) and make a backup to your computer. from there you can transfer the .mp4 or what ever format you save it in to your sd card. I personally have been backing up all my movies to HD.

When you use the DVD ripper program, you can resize it for a tablet and save your self some HD space too.
Crazy as a loon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:31 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

For anyone wanting to play DVDs on their tablet here is one sourse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_6Ax2NQ7uQ&app=desktop

Now I tried it and it works. If someone can come up with a better or faster way please post here and let us know.

I am going to try to become our tablet know it all. But I will do nothing for the apple idiots cause apple needs to die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:49 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Another nice program for ripping (DVD, Blu-Ray); MakeMKV. This program eats 'restrictions' for breakfast. :mrgreen: Let this program make a nice mkv file from your disk or just make a ''backup' of a disk and then modify it with any program you like as it hasn't got many controls to modify the output settings.