It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:03 pm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:34 pm 
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Got an issue with the old computer. Was working fine, but all of a sudden I have an issue when I turn it on, it begins to boot up goes to the the windows load screen then the monitor loses signal. Everything is still going. All fans are working, and I can hear the hard drive click and begin to work, but nothing going through to the monitor. It is a reasonably new PSU and the monitor is also new. I have worked out it is not the monitor as I have plugged the monitor from this PC into the old PC and the same thing happens. Have a NVIDIA GT240 & Intel Quad 2 Q8200. Operating system is Vista 32-bit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:48 am 
Private
Private

Could be a failing video card but maybe a corrupt video card driver things I would try if in your shoes

power on the machine and start tapping the F8 key during the bootup process, I say tap the key because if you just hold it down some computers stop loading and complain that you have a stuck key, so tap it until you get a prompt to enter safe mode choose safe mode from the top of the list and see if you can get to your windows desktop without the monitor losing signal as before. If your lucky and it does load without the same symptom as normal mode then the next step would be to run system restore and choose a date before this happened I usually like to go back a week that always makes me feel warm and fuzzy and let it do its thing with a little luck when it gets done and reboots back into normal mode your system will be all better.

If you are unable to choose safe mode because the monitor has already lost signal you may have a hardware issue most likely the video card but sometimes I've gotten lucky with things like this by unplugging the power cord from the tower as well as the network cable just to make sure their is no power going into it at all for a few minutes and reconnecting it and trying to boot up again. This also requires luck or magic whatever you like to call it. It has worked in the past but not always.

you might try reseating your video card Its worth a shot if nothing else is working just remove it from your motherboard and reinstall it or better yet if you happen to have an older video card laying around perhaps in another system try swapping to determine if your video card itself is the probem

If you happen to have a live cd like KNOPPIX around try booting it up and see if you have the same results. If the live cd boots and video works I would lean more towards a driver issue rather than a hardware issue. I have win7 personally but I assume the vista installation disc has the ability to access system restore also if it was not something you could get to with safe mode I don't have the screens memorized but I do recall a menu item something along the lines of "repair your computer"

sometimes usb peripherials can prevent proper bootup narrow down your devices to only your keyboard and mouse disconnect everything else from your system and then attempt to bootup if it starts then restart it again just to make sure its not a one times stroke of luck then shut it down and reconnect your devices one at a time and booting up afterwards to see if the symptom comes back. When it does you have pinpointed the problem child usually the cable itself or the device attached to it. Go from there

hope it helps
you probably want the next grave over

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:12 am 
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Thanks Arch. I replaced the graphics card with an old one I had lying around. Seemed to work fine, even if it took a while to boot up. Plugged in the mouse and shut it down and restarted it three times. No problems. Moved it back to the desk, plugged in the keyboard, speakers and internet. Nothing. Unplugged the keyboard, internet, speakers and just left the mouse plugged in. Started up, if a little slow. Then plugged in the other stuff and it worked okay. Shut it down. Restarted it. Nothing. Thought I may have a power issue on start up with the other stuff plugged in. So unplugged them, shut it down. Then restarted it with just the mouse and the monitor. Nothing. Tried it with just the monitor. Back to square one. Power is going. No signal to monitor. Ready to tear it to pieces and sell the parts for a little extra cash.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:33 am 
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

It may be the RAM that's playing up. Check for corrosion and try removing one at a time to see if something happens. You may have bumped them when removing the video card.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:48 pm 
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Last time this happened to me Mac.
Some how I had lost my vidio drivers. By a nasty little program I down loaded while trying to get Days Z running.
I ran scan disk to get all my parts back into align
start/computer/c drive/properties/tools/check/check/check both boxes /restart computer./let it do its thing.

After that finished ruining. I down loaded a free program called ad-aware. Found 2 Trojans on my computer. That my virus checker did not find. All seems to be working fine now.

Had to do all that in same mode.

Good luck

If I have said something that upsets you. Blame your parents for raising such a Wimp!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:15 pm 
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

does your Mobo have video out? if so try that.