It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:43 am

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:50 pm 
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

A few days ago I updated the firmware on my Linksys/Cisco E4200v2 router. I think I did, anyway.

Then wanted to watch a Netflix movie the other night... NADA. I then pushed the reset button on our Roku 2 XD without checking owner's manual. (mistake) When Roku re-booted I could 'see' my 2 listings of my router ( 1 as guest sign-in, other as normal sign-in) on the Roku wireless networks in the vicinity. Picked one, and had to re-enter PW for the network.... would not accept any PW I've ever had for the last 18 years...

First, I live-chatted with a LinkSys/Cisco tech in the Philipines. To get on her good side I told her I loved Manny Pacquiao. That might have helped. I was past my 'W' for free live-chat tech support by 3 DAYS!! She wanted to charge me $29.99 for help. Asked her to get her supervisor to allow for a N/C call, especially, I said, because I might be buying LinkSys' new E6500 router (with the new draft 802.11ac wireless protocol) next month... ( sort of not-true...but maybe, call-me-maybe). They ok'd free service call.

She helped me with a reset and manual setup of the wireless router settings. Was a bit tricky(for me)...(shut up, 5niper...) This router has 2.4ghz and 5ghz sections in set-up... She had me name each differently. She was very nice.

Anyway...

Now to the Roku.... They have web live-chat support as well, but I aged by 2 years waiting 20 minutes to move up the waiting list. So, back to TV room, and this time I unplugged the power button, waited, then back on. TV back on, switch to HDMI2 port, turn on Roku/Netflix... voila.... there is one of my differently named wireless networks.

I noticed that it was the 2.4ghz one, and not the 5.0ghz one... Anyone know why that is? Wonder if the movies will stream more slowly to the Roku from the router on the 2.4ghz one? Anyone, on these 2 questions?

It works fine now........... ok, tired of typing, time to check FFL lineup for the 27th time for tomm's games...

PS... Oh geez, that new Cisco E6500 router looks just like my current E4200v2 router..... :? 8)
Image Image

Last edited by DFWallace on Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:11 pm 
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

"This router has 2.4ghz and 5ghz sections in set-up"

I need a 2 band router. My Galaxy S3 wont pick up a signal from my 2ghz but I can't boost it to 5ghz. My Kindle Fire gets a solid signal though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:18 pm 
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

This cnet review is from August... a bit dated for computer equipment...
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-3132_7-574 ... expensive/

That E6500 from Cisco, above in first post, just came out I think... but it's quite expensive...

If I were getting a new router, I'd get one that has the new draft protocol to better future-proof it....
Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:57 pm 
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Bump for questions in my first post.........
Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:04 pm 
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Dapper...

I may still have my previous router, a LinkSys DIR-655 (hardware ver A2)... not sure if I sold it to someone or not. If interested let me know, and I'll look for it. Here it is from Amazon at @ $67. new... don't know if that has the features you need.
http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DIR-655-Ex ... ess+router

Here's the router I have now, though I can't tell if it's the 'v2' version of it....
http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-E42 ... ys+e4200v2

And here's their latest one the E6500... wouldn't mind if Santa showed up w/ that...and it better be "smart" as they call it, for that price...
http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-EA6500-Du ... roduct_top
Image Image