It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:00 pm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:01 pm 
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

I think the promo offer of a Win 8 upgrade is still at @ $40.... :?:

I have Win 7 Pro-64, and the wife has Win ME on her Dell. We have no tablet or laptop PC's, nor Apple products (other than wife's iPod). Win 7 runs all games I play perfectly, even the golf simulation Links 2003, which is a very old game.

Would some of the possible reasons to upgrade now be... 1. the promo price, 2. just want a new thing to play around with, 3. you'll have to get it eventually, or, 4. if some type of tablet (PC based) is a purchase possibility eventually, ie, the new MS Surface (which looks at first glance to be very interesting)... Our eBook reader is the Kindle.

Wonder if an upgrade could be easily done, and not do the dreaded format/re-install of everything...on the wife's would do the format/re-install. But on my Win 7...

Tempting to lock in that price now, DL it, and just save it...

What do you gurus think?
Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:18 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

We call it Windows H8 (Windows Hate) :D

I can't see, for me, any reason to go there.

They're trying to change our computers into "Tablet Like" thingys.

You've seen that silly looking desktop that looks like Hollywood Squares, or
the Brady Bunch screen. YUK!!

You have a "sort of" desktop looking thing, but you can't boot to it that way (as far as I know).

I love my Windows 7 64bit (for now). And can't see any reason to change. Even if it was free.

:D
"Lead, follow, or get out of the way."----Thomas Paine

"I am sore wounded but not slain I will lay me down and bleed a while And then rise up to fight again"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:39 pm 
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

I agree with 5niper on this one. I had a beta version of w8 it does have some nice features, but over all working with a mouse and key board is terrible, it is designed for apps not geared for normal programs, having to switch between apps central and seemingly a desk top looking screen is a pain. I can't say I won't get it some day but it is unlikely. Can't afford to buy touch screen montiers.

Inside of my heart are two wolves ... good and the other evil ... which one is the stronger? The one I feed.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him;
better take a closer look at the American Indian."
Henry Ford

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:40 pm 
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

DFWallace wrote:
I think the promo offer of a Win 8 upgrade is still at @ $40.... :?:

I have Win 7 Pro-64, and the wife has Win ME on her Dell. We have no tablet or laptop PC's, nor Apple products (other than wife's iPod). Win 7 runs all games I play perfectly, even the golf simulation Links 2003, which is a very old game.

Would some of the possible reasons to upgrade now be... 1. the promo price, 2. just want a new thing to play around with, 3. you'll have to get it eventually, or, 4. if some type of tablet (PC based) is a purchase possibility eventually, ie, the new MS Surface (which looks at first glance to be very interesting)... Our eBook reader is the Kindle.

Wonder if an upgrade could be easily done, and not do the dreaded format/re-install of everything...on the wife's would do the format/re-install. But on my Win 7...

Tempting to lock in that price now, DL it, and just save it...

What do you gurus think?

windows me? Windows Millennium Edition? was windows 98 SE not better then me.
AMD Bulldozer 8150 8 Core 4.9GHz 16GB DDR3 1866 GTX 590 in 4 way SLI 1.1GHz Core clock

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:48 pm 
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

From what I've seen win 8 is primarily just a front over a win 7 base. The new UI is designed for touch screen Devices but you can go back to the desk top and everything is the same as win 7. For me I will not be upgrading. I have no touch devices to run it on, my desktop is for gaming photos so again no advantage, I have an old XP laptop which with only 2 GB ram would lag with anything beyond XP and I have a media center laptop and the media center aspect have been removed from the standard win 8 version and can only be purchased as an additional add on.
I have seen win 8 on tablets designed for it and it is very impressive, this is an RT tablet version for arm processors and can only have apps from the MS Store. However the full surface tablet has a standard version of win 8 and can install any desktop that you'd install to a desktop or laptop.