It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:46 am

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:30 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

Welp, just got home from work, and wife left a note ("honey-do" list), and #2 was to "fix my PC".....

Insanely slow, takes over 5 minutes to reboot.. and with that I notice that Kaspersky is grayed out.. ****.... It won't let me enable either, which leads me to uninstall it and reinstall... and I get the message saying that I don't have administrator rights... Oh oh....

No biggie... I just reformat (have all important stuff on thumb drives), and while that is going on, I jump on my PC.. I notice that Kaspersky Pure 2.0 (was running the new version on my PC) is grayed out, and I've lost administrator rights too. Great.....

Next thing I know, I get several email's from my bank via text... guess what... no, really... what the heck... I've never been hacked in this capacity before. I have our accounts frozen, and it looks like the monies will be returned, but at this point I'm completely lost as to what's next....

Our PC's were on the same network, but I had file & printer sharing off on mine... Needless-to-say any advice at this time is really needed because this just plain sucks....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:49 pm 
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Wow this really sucks.. The person who did this had to really know what they were doing I would take a look at your logs on your router may show something there then I would look at getting a better router with a better hardware based fire wall. I would also trash that kaspersky and use Microsoft Security essentials
AMD Bulldozer 8150 8 Core 4.9GHz 16GB DDR3 1866 GTX 590 in 4 way SLI 1.1GHz Core clock

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:57 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

Router is / was Netgear, wireless 150-N... cheapo...

Daughter was on 2 nights ago.. did a search for "free kids games".... After that, I'm not sure what all happened but I'm assuming that at some point she clicked "yes" or "install"...

My Blizzard account is hacked.. Just tried to load up Starcraft 2, and I can't log in... this just gets better and better.....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:51 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Were your PC, your wife and your daughter all share and connected to each other on the home network?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:52 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Man, that could give you high blood pressure!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:01 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

Darknight wrote:
Were your PC, your wife and your daughter all share and connected to each other on the home network?

Yup... As of right now, it looks like anything that used a password and has a CC attached to it has been accessed or manipulated...

cell, bank, blizzard, steam, EA....

Cell, bank, and insurance have all been resolved.

Ticket into blizzard.. not expecting much.. same with Steam... Called EA support.. looks like I'll be loosing everything BF and I'll have to repurchase... If I didn't have to get the kids in a few hours, I'd be way into some microbrew....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:02 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

[RAW]1MisAnthrope wrote:
Man, that could give you high blood pressure!

Yes.. yes it does... :|

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:03 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Did they actually get money from your bank account? I can access my account online and move money from checking to savings and vice-versa, but that is all that can be done. I've talked to my SNL rep and she says anything more without my appearing at a branch is impossible. Maybe she doesn't know what she's talking about. Very scary story Hyper. You need to build you a couple of mem sticks capable of booting and put some repair tools/anti-spyware/drive-imaging stuff on them. I do a head to toe check of my system weekly, then image the storage on external drives. I have two so I've always got the last two backups just incase. Good luck getting your machines going. No honey-do list needs that on it!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:14 pm 
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Reformatting is a good start. you'll also need to contact any places you have a password and get them changed. You could contact the police also as they will have a cyber crime dept however they may ask to look through your PCs which you may not feel comfortable about.

Recommend upgrading security to Zone Alarm. On high security nothing gets in or out of your PC without your permission. As for anti virus try Avast the free version is great.
For your Blizzard account use the Activator code system if you've not started doing so already. Not sure About the EA loosing everything, you should be able to log back in change your security details and redownload/install your software.

Once your back up and running consider using Super Anti-spyware, CCleaner and SlimCleaner regularly (all free) which will help keep your PC running smoothly and keep out the spyware.

Good Luck.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:36 pm 
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

RAW REkAB wrote:
Reformatting is a good start. you'll also need to contact any places you have a password and get them changed. You could contact the police also as they will have a cyber crime dept however they may ask to look through your PCs which you may not feel comfortable about.

Recommend upgrading security to Zone Alarm. On high security nothing gets in or out of your PC without your permission. As for anti virus try Avast the free version is great.
For your Blizzard account use the Activator code system if you've not started doing so already. Not sure About the EA loosing everything, you should be able to log back in change your security details and redownload/install your software.

Once your back up and running consider using Super Anti-spyware, CCleaner and SlimCleaner regularly (all free) which will help keep your PC running smoothly and keep out the spyware.

Good Luck.

Avast is okay but i find it to be very heavy on the Pc and if you use Microsoft security essentials you would have no need for any other virus/spyware stuff slowing your pc down also using Zone Alarm is great but its a software firewall and can be worked around you need a hardware based firewall I use a juniper router 5gt (netscreen) I'm not saying go that hard core but you need hardware based firewalls.

I have seen this type of attack before its done using a Bot network you would of had to of downloaded some peace of software to let it in and from there it takes everything and resets to the passwords to anything it can then your info is sold on the "black market" if you had Wow on your battle.net they would take your gold and sell it if you have a visa/mastercard on your steam they will buy games using it and gift them to people for cash, they will go into your email and check and see if they can find any more info on you that can be used to reset passwords.

and this is all done by the very smart bot network using 1000's of computers all over the world.
AMD Bulldozer 8150 8 Core 4.9GHz 16GB DDR3 1866 GTX 590 in 4 way SLI 1.1GHz Core clock

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:42 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

RAW REkAB wrote:

Good Luck.

Like a tard, I didn't use activator.. honestly, up until the past 2 months, the last time I used anything blizzard was almost a year ago. The police is a good idea... chuckles.. with kids, there is nothing on this PC that would be... umm.. awkward?? :)

Still working with EA... Tried to log into 3 different servers while on the phone with them, and I get "kicked" for communication disruption... I have no idea at this point.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:17 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

As of now, damaged has been done and you are trying to fix it as much as you can.

If you are still using your computer that has been reformatted (recommended), which is good. You need to take a step back and start from the source...Your router. Reset your router and set with a strong pw or unplug it and use it straight thru from the computer. From what I am reading, if this has been access your stuff on your computer, it can also go thru your router and get info from there as well. And I believe you can take care the rest from Windows, as far as security wise. Let me or us know if you need more info or help.

= Darknight =

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:34 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

Any recommendations regarding a router...??

Nothing WoW on my PC, but Starcraft2... I'm getting that back. EA is being a jack wagon and essentially I'll have to repurchase BF3.. (just bought expansion pack.. agh!!)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:38 pm 
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

no way EA has to give it back to you you have proof you paid for it ?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:02 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Cisco E4200 about $140

Cisco E3000 about $60
"Lead, follow, or get out of the way."----Thomas Paine

"I am sore wounded but not slain I will lay me down and bleed a while And then rise up to fight again"