It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:09 am

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:40 pm 
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

HyperTension wrote:
Any recommendations regarding a router...??

I'm very happy with the Cisco/LinkSys E4200v2...
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-573 ... -for-last/
Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:53 am 
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Briggs wrote:
RAW REkAB wrote:
Reformatting is a good start. you'll also need to contact any places you have a password and get them changed. You could contact the police also as they will have a cyber crime dept however they may ask to look through your PCs which you may not feel comfortable about.

Recommend upgrading security to Zone Alarm. On high security nothing gets in or out of your PC without your permission. As for anti virus try Avast the free version is great.
For your Blizzard account use the Activator code system if you've not started doing so already. Not sure About the EA loosing everything, you should be able to log back in change your security details and redownload/install your software.

Once your back up and running consider using Super Anti-spyware, CCleaner and SlimCleaner regularly (all free) which will help keep your PC running smoothly and keep out the spyware.

Good Luck.

Avast is okay but i find it to be very heavy on the Pc and if you use Microsoft security essentials you would have no need for any other virus/spyware stuff slowing your pc down also using Zone Alarm is great but its a software firewall and can be worked around you need a hardware based firewall I use a juniper router 5gt (netscreen) I'm not saying go that hard core but you need hardware based firewalls.

I have seen this type of attack before its done using a Bot network you would of had to of downloaded some peace of software to let it in and from there it takes everything and resets to the passwords to anything it can then your info is sold on the "black market" if you had Wow on your battle.net they would take your gold and sell it if you have a visa/mastercard on your steam they will buy games using it and gift them to people for cash, they will go into your email and check and see if they can find any more info on you that can be used to reset passwords.

and this is all done by the very smart bot network using 1000's of computers all over the world.

I'd say double up. Have the hardware firewall on your router and a software one on each PC. This is has worked well for me for many years. Most modern decent routers have firewalls now a days so i understand. I'm using a Belkin N1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:34 am 
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

But keep in mind that even the best firewalls in the world can't help you once you allowed some piece of (corrupted) software to enter your pc . I recently found this out the hard way, and I had to format and reinstall everything . But after all this was only the second time since 1998, so its not to bad. I try to do my banking stuff on a laptop that is never used, and is only connected to the internet ( by wire) when I need to do some payments. As I said, I learned it the hard way.
born to grumble.........
ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:36 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

You can add me to this list as well...

Any feelings on the Asus RT-N66U / RT-N56U?

Will probably need some help on setting up the network under a more secure environment. Primary being isolating my box, yet able to access files on wife's machine. On her box (sorry, couldn't help but throw that in there), Create a profile for kids, looking at sandboxing the browser as well. I've subscribed to OpenDNS as well. I'm just not sure as to how to do it.

With regards to EA, after spending mucho quality time with them, my account has been hijacked, and when I try to log into a server, I automatically get kicked for 2 minutes by PB for communication disruption. I"m not on any lists by PB, and my client is completely updated, yet this is what happens. Their response has been a helpful "sorry, but ......"

Found a site I can get the RU variant of the game with an English patch, Back to Karkland DLC, and Close Quarters for 50 bucks.. sigh..

Took forever.. forever to rank up... oh well...

Purchased Netgear N750 / WNDR4000... Had a lot of good reviews.. Does anybody have any experience on setting these up?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:55 am 
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

HyperTension wrote:
You can add me to this list as well...

Any feelings on the Asus RT-N66U / RT-N56U?

Will probably need some help on setting up the network under a more secure environment. Primary being isolating my box, yet able to access files on wife's machine. On her box (sorry, couldn't help but throw that in there), Create a profile for kids, looking at sandboxing the browser as well. I've subscribed to OpenDNS as well. I'm just not sure as to how to do it.

With regards to EA, after spending mucho quality time with them, my account has been hijacked, and when I try to log into a server, I automatically get kicked for 2 minutes by PB for communication disruption. I"m not on any lists by PB, and my client is completely updated, yet this is what happens. Their response has been a helpful "sorry, but ......"

Found a site I can get the RU variant of the game with an English patch, Back to Karkland DLC, and Close Quarters for 50 bucks.. sigh..

Took forever.. forever to rank up... oh well...

Purchased Netgear N750 / WNDR4000... Had a lot of good reviews.. Does anybody have any experience on setting these up?

You are getting kicked for 2 minutes by PB for communication disruption because you do not have the PB a/b service running reinstalled punkbuster

http://www.evenbalance.com/downloads/pbsvc/pbsvc.exe < that link is for the service install

http://websec.evenbalance.com/downloade ... php?file=1 < is to make sure after you have the service installed its upto date
AMD Bulldozer 8150 8 Core 4.9GHz 16GB DDR3 1866 GTX 590 in 4 way SLI 1.1GHz Core clock

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:22 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

Tried that.. no luck..

Been a working fool for past week, I'll give it another shot tomorrow afternoon..